A.J. Venter wrote:
Some other workaround that comes to my mind is to do something like
  Randomize;
  RandSeed := RandSeed * getpid;

This worked, cut the initial generation time from about 30 seconds down to under 1, of course right now it's NOT platform independent at all so I will need to enhance it but I like the direction of your thinking, combining randseed with some virtually guaranteed unique value solves the problem.

Maybe you use a global variable and just add one for each randseed call. After all the only thing that matters for the randseed, is that it is different.

BTW, I never would have guessed that the random number generator would have used threadvars. I would have thought, that on app start you would set one randseed and then call random from all threads.

Vincent.