Tony Pelton schreef:
On 5/29/06, Vincent Snijders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Use a IDE with code tools that support find declaration.

that is a terrible answer.

this isn't the "IDE" list, it is the Free Pascal "compiler" list.

Indeed. But sometimes the compiler doesn't give enough information and other
tools do.

Another view: An IDE is to help people write code, a compiler is to compile it and not to guess what it should have been, if some error occurs.

i would have beat my head against a wall for days on a problem like that.

Using the wrong tool for the wrong job, I would say. A compiler is to compiler, an IDE to write code.

i would suggest that this is an opportunity to think about error
reporting in the compiler.

i would suggest, as a compiler enhancement, maybe ...

a) the compiler could report ambigous symbols as a warning

AFAIK in this case there were no ambiguous symbols. Only a procedure hidden by an other. Some languages don't have disambiguation rules (C# for example) for units/namespaces and always require you to add the unitname (e.g. SysUtils.DeleteFile). I don't like that solution.

b) the error could report fully qualifed symbols on errors

Yes, more verbose error messages are always nice (until they get too verbose).

i don't know how simple that is for the compiler, but it is simple to
understand for the programmer.

Vincent