On 02 Nov 2006, at 19:03, Ken G. Brown wrote:

With fpc, in trying to compile an example brought in from CW, and using XCode 2.4.1 on a Dual 2.0 G5 10.4.8, I have started with a Carbon template. In the target rules for processing pascal source files, I see a custom script indicated to use output files $ (PROJECT_DERIVED_FILE_DIR)/$(INPUT_FILE_BASE).s

How do you look at the value that PROJECT_DERIVED_FILE_DIR is set to?

By looking at the build transcript. To see it, go to the "Build Results" (cmd-shift-B), and then click on the small icon looking like a couple of lines of text (next to a yellow warning triangle -- yes, the user interface of that pane is bad).

And where would you change the setting? I cannot find it in any documentation.

You can't change it, it's automatically set by Xcode. You can find out about it (and tons of others) by having a look at the build transcript mentioned above.

Is the custom script necessary?

Yes.

I am getting a compile error saying:
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: no input files while looking for .s file in the Build/projectname.build/DerivedSources directory.

Is a .s always created from Pascal Sources during compiles?

Yes.

I see a program.s file in Build/projectname.build/DerivedSources/ PPC/ directory but am not sure why it cannot be found or what to do about it.

The compilation script should copy it to Build/projectname.build/ DerivedSources after compilation is finished, merging ppc and intel versions of the assembler code if necessary (because in the past Xcode did not allow specifying different output files for different architectures). This should be done by the make_conditional() function in the compilation script.

You may also want to try Erling Johanssen's alternate Xcode project files, available from
  http://www.fabfilter.com/frederik/fpc-app-templates-20060921-ejo.zip

They are written for Xcode 2.3 or later and therefore need far less workarounds for Xcode bugs and limitations (and hence are less prone to hard to find bugs). They also solve a few issues with the project files we distribute (the main one is that it puts the compilation script in a different target to avoid a race condition).

Jonas