Henry Vermaak writes:

usually fpc.cfg is configured to find the units, but because you
installed the compiled units in a different folder, you will need to
either change fpc.cfg

How do I tell the compiler where to look for the fpc.cfg?
I copied the fpc.cfg from my i386 machine, made the change and tried. Didn't help. Put it in the same place I have it in the i386 architecture. /usr/local/etc/

On the command line I added -Fu<path> and found the diretory.

Now I have a different problem.
PPU Loading /data/fpc/rtl/units/i386-freebsd/system.ppu
PPU is compiled for another processor

How do I compile the units for AMD64?
Do I need to cross compile them or can I compile them with this compiler in the AMD64.

you will also want to tell ppcrossx64 what your binutils prefix is by
using -XPx86_64-freebsd-.

Was there a dash at the end there or is that a typo?

 also make sure that the compiler can find
your binutils (put it on the path).

I don't see a directory by that name. Is the directory called something other than binutils?

Originally I embarked on this cross compile because I was told that the freebsd port did not support AMD64 because of some problems. Is what I have done so far further than previously achieved? Just wondering if this that I am trying is of any help at all. The person that reported the issue with the amd64 port was Marco van de Voort, in this same thread.

In particular he wrote.

It is possible to create a binary for amd64, but that binary doesn't work,
and I don't know why. FreeBSD keeps complaining it can't execute it.