On 15 jun 2007, at 11:44, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are not providing enough information to give any useful comments. There is no reason why a generic library would error out because certain code is "too slow". Is this a real time application on an embedded
system or so?

I think that the problem is the buffering. Just set the text buffer
(settextbuf) to a larger buffer, and it should work a lot faster.

That's quite unlikely to be the case. settextbuf seldomly makes a difference for me. Especially if you write to standard output, which will trigger a flush after every writeln anyway.

I don't see why not ?
What would make it more slow than a comparable routine in libc ?

Of course it is possible to write a routine which is just as fast as the one in libc, but I'm not going to spend my time on that (I spent months on debugging the current routine on different architectures to get consistent and pretty correct output, and there are plenty of other more interesting and -as far as I am concerned- important things to do).

Currently, FPC's float->string conversion is apparently too slow for him however, so FPC is not useful for him at this time if his main interest is "speed of converting floating point numbers to string representation".

Jonas