> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> I don't see what is difficult about Florians proposition.
> On the contrary, it is the simplest possible solution,
> and quite elegant in my eyes.

To be honest, I flabbergasted that the two of you agreed on such a runtime
construct. It goes IMHO against Pascal principles.

> For the LCL/fpGUI/MSEGui programmers, nothing changes,
> you can even throw away your own conversion routines.
> You need only a single call just prior to passing a string
> to the OS/GUI system: ForceEncoding(). No ifdefs needed,
> all is transparant.

That's one of the problems. Having to check and insert code for a Tiburon
solution. (that simply will expect UTF-16). The least it should do is have a
way to flag a routine (e.g. by directive/ Tiburon mode) to only accept UTF16
and insert that call itself.