Jonas Maebe schrieb:

On 07 Jul 2008, at 18:26, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

I've got a few functions defined with 'const' string parameters. When
I tried to pass a large string, I got the following error message. Why
is that?

Because the scanner only handles shortstrings for speed reasons. You can construct longer strings by concatenating multiple shorter strings (they will be concatenated at compile time).

Maybe we should fix this and introduce a patternl (for long) for cstring, there are only a few places in the compiler where this used.