Could also use popen.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:11, Marc Santhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Am Mittwoch, den 23.07.2008, 14:40 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
Hi,

I have a function called fpgOpenURL(...) which contains the following ....

   if fpsystem('which xdg-open') = 0 then
     Helper := 'xdg-open'
   else if fpsystem('which firefox') = 0 then
     Helper := 'firefox';
   else if fpsystem('which konqueror') = 0 then
     Helper := 'konqueror';
   else if fpsystem('which opera') = 0 then
     Helper := 'opera';
   else if fpsystem('which mozilla') = 0 then
      Helper := 'mozilla';

It tries to dected the preferred or installed web browser. If Helper
<> '' at the end, I know I found a web browser.  But how do I catch
the output of fpopen('which xxx') so that I can set the full path of
the application in  the 'Helper' variable.

eg:
  instead of using 'xdg-open'  I would prefer to set the full path
returned by 'which xdg-open' which is '/usr/bin/xdg-open'

I haven't done it myself, but I'm somewhat sure the standard answer for
this case is:

Use TProcess. There is a wiki page about it.

;)
Marc