On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Skybuck Flying <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If everybody does a little bit it could go quite quickly.
>
> Question is:
>
> Which linux distro ? ;)

Well, you said "porting linux".  Linux to be only references the
Kernel only. That is the real OS part. All the other stuff like X11,
and 1000's of utilities and libraries are 3rd party stuff.  Having a
Linux system without a GUI is just as much a Linux system, as one with
a GUI.

So you first need to decide what you want to port?  The kernel only,
or a whole distro?  The latter is absurd, as it will take a lifetime
to complete, plus - what's the point?

As for a OS that can boot a computer, implement a basic filesystem and
copy/rename files is doable. I had friends that had to write such a
simple OS as a end-of-year project in there studies. I guess you can
take a peak at the Linux code to accomplish that, but again, what's
the point. Other that being able to say "yes it can be done with Free
Pascal as well".  Maybe you have more free time available than I do.
:-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -