On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:33 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> FPC's FCL and Lazarus' LCL is very much similar and compatible with Delphi's
> (as product) VCL. Having single codebase for different platforms and OSes is
> not that hard, though in some special cases it can't be 100% single codebase
> but it can be solved easily using IFDEFs.

With sufficient abstraction, it's even possible without IFDEFs.  My
applications don't run on 16 platfroms, but it does run or 4, and
there isn't  single IFDEF in my code.

> Some people (mostly people in this list) have been using Delphi (as
> language) on more than 16 platforms (including mobile devices), yet they are
> (Codegear/Embarcadero fan boys) still dreaming about it. My very deep
> condolence goes to them. :)

I can't agree more!  ;-)
I've mentioned it a few times in the CodeGear newsgroup as well. If
they can use a different compiler and IDE to target .NET/Mono, why
can't they do the same for cross-platform support.  Simply use Lazarus
IDE and Free Pascal Compiler - supply many bug fixes and ship that!

They keep going on about the .NET dependency justification in the IDE,
saying they didn't want to reinvent the wheel!  Well, they should
practice what they preach. They are going to do just that, if they
want there own cross-platform support. They are stupid if they don't
embrace the Free Pascal Compiler and Lazarus IDE. It would save them a
ton of work!!

Regards,
  - Graeme -