And how do I change my current code to UTF-8?
In the menu Tools --> Convert encoding of file/project

I used the Delphi-to-Lazarus convertion for my (Delphi) program. Why isn't it also converting to UTF-8 if that's necessary?

But I never used it. I would just open in a text editor which can
handle multiple encodings, like notepad++

You mean: Don't use Lazarus but use an alternative standard editor? What purpose is the IDE then?

Thanks for the link. But why isn't it documented in the Help of TListBox? No
word there that the strings may be UTF-8 only (and that you somehow have to
store your code files in that coding if you use stings constants).
Because it applies to all of LCL. We would need to repeat that for all
classes from the LCL.

In a documentation I would expect to find such important information (at least as a link). Otherwise I don't need it at all and can find out how it works myself by trial and error.

You cannot not use Unicode with Lazarus. Only UTF-8 is supported,

Isn't UTF-8 unicode in the same way as UTF-16?

There is obviously some work to be done when migrating to Unicode, but
you will be very happy if you ever need to localize your application
to Russian or chinese, because the application is already unicode
capable and can easely support those languages.

Yes. I don't have a problem with Unicode at all, just the opposite. I only miss a clear help that tells me that TStrings in the LCL have to be UTF-8 per definition. And it would have saved me lots of debugging hours if the strange bug would not have omitted the whole string whenever they contain extended characters. It took me a very long time to realize that it's a bug in the LCL and that it's related to extended characters and that it can be avoided by using AnsiToUTF8.

Jürgen Hestermann.