Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
There seem to be a number of people currently making outrageous suggestions about missing features or how FPC could best be repackaged and promoted, so since it's the season of good will I trust that folk will tolerate this one from me.

There's been a recent thread in fpc-other on second languages, but it appeared to focus more on what was a useful part of a developer's skillset rather than what people miss from Pascal.

What /I/ miss is Perl's pattern matching, and I miss it to the extent that in some of my own scripting stuff I've implemented it myself:

IF cells[2, dateTime] = /(\d\d)\/(\d\d)\/((\d\d)?\d\d)\s.*/i THEN BEGIN

and now in plain english, what does it match ?

Marc