Francisco Reyes writes :  (snipped)

>>The sample code in the ref document doesn't document the simplest case, but goes over what I think is a more complex example of a unit that uses another unit. It also doesn't have any actual code to do anything, so it is kind of an abstract example . I was looking on the other docs to see if there were any examples, but did not find any.

--- I see some people have answered and provided one or more examples. If you need more, I have several demo programs I have used in my own learning of FPC which you are welcome to. If interested, email me privately. Also, it took me a while to find out how to get at the example sources for the code snippets included in the various manual. If you need these, I can try to save you some time searching there as well.

>>For starters I don't really follow the diagrams in the ref document. It probably is some type of formal definition, but I am neither familiar with it, nor seem to get it. Even when I look at a simpler case like procedure declaration I can't follow those blocks.

--- I personally have never been able to grasp syntax diagrams too well on first (or second+ glance) either and like to look at examples and go back and forth till I understand it or think I do. Examples are good and my vote is for more examples but they do make the manuals a lot lengthier which might be better served by tutorials. And yes, I have found it hard to find good tutorials due to broken links and what not, and like you mention, looking for Delphi information can yield good results.

>>I am finding many contributed units with broken links to both the code and the homepage URL.

>>A few thoughts. We could clean all entries to which both the code and the refering URL are broken. We could email the author and give them a week or two, but if we get no replies then we should remove the entry.

--- This is a good idea. I would go further and suggest that some of the wiki pages be reorganized to make them easier to navigate and find things. Since FPC is a community effort, that means that someone has to take the time and do it and it usually comes down to the "someone" being the one who suggests it. Pointing a finger at myself in this case :)

--- _If_ you have access to a Macintosh, I would suggest downloading and trying out Ingemar's Lightweight IDE. This IDE is VERY easy to use and hides a lot of complexity which is especially useful for newbie's . You can concentrate on learning syntax and trying out Pascal code immediately rather than having to initially wade through linking peculiarities, makefiles and command line stuff ... unless you like or need them for whatever reason. - ROW