Jonas Maebe wrote:

Not really. The problem with the iPhone is that you cannot run any self-written applications on it (in an Apple-sanctioned way) without subscribing to Apple's $99/year developer program.

And it's such s**t I don't give a toss about. I paid for the device, I wrote
the software, so why can't I run it on hardware I legally purchased.  I
seriously doubt that American law will hold up in all countries including South
Africa. Also the reason I hope Apple looses the court case against Phystar -
it's the same principal. Anyway, that's totally off topic and for another
discussion.

As far as I understand, the iPhone runs a similar kernel (freebsd based) as Mac
OS X is. So yes, I would imagine supporting the one would help the other. I was
last year as a major security conference in South Africa and there they showed
how easy it was to hack the iPhone - remotely enabling the video camera and
record phone calls without the user knowing. Quite scary. Anyway, the point is,
the hacker showed us how he does it and he simple ssh or telnet'd into the
iPhone and he used basic unix commands from the command line interface on the
iPhone. Pretty cool stuff. :-)

Regards,
- Graeme -