Anyway, if it's about SynEdit, feel free to ask where to start looking, I am glad to give some pointers. (But please make sure you are on SVN 0.9.27, since it is completely different)

From What I understand, there are 2 issues:
- the missing persistent block
I don't even know how many persistent-block related commands there are. IIRC from never mind hom many years ago, you have to Key-Shortcuts, to set it's end and begin? (Instead of using shift-cursor?)
What other commands are there?
It may be possible to break it down into the most needed (set-begin, set-end, copy, move) commands, and otheres that can be added over time?

- The Keyboard layout/scheme for "wordstar" ?
How different is that from current default, or classic-scheme default?

Martin