On 09/13/2009 11:38 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
2009/9/13 Nikolay Nikolov<nick...@users.sourceforge.net>:
Could you provide some more information? Which distro are you using? What's
your locale (i.e. the value of the LANG environment variable)? And which
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 9.04 on x86 hardware. If I run the
Text IDE inside gnome-terminal, everything looks perfect. All window
borders are drawn correctly. This is with the Gnome desktop
environment.

But if I disable the X Window System - linux booting to console mode
only with the fbdev framebuffer enabled, then the Text IDE doesn't
look right. How do I find out what font is being used in framebuffer
mode?
It is distro-specific, and is usually contained in a config file in /etc, and is loaded by the startup scripts. On fedora it's "/etc/sysconfig/i18n". Not sure about ubuntu, but maybe "/etc/console-tools/config"? Also, what are the contents of the LANG environment variable? (i.e. what does "echo $LANG" write?) And also, which version of fpc are you using? Is it the latest trunk (which has UTF-8 output support for the video unit)?

Does the IDE have access to the VCSA devices (the answer is yes, if you're running the IDE as root, *or* grab_vcsa is in the path and is SUID root)? If the answer is yes - try this patch with the latest trunk: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=14569

  I simply added "vga=791" to my grub menu.lst file which
contained the kernel line I am booting.
The differences come from the fact, that the linux console is quite different than the xterm and compatibles (like gnome-terminal or konsole), not from the fact, that you're using a graphical framebuffer. IOW, if you run it in text mode, instead of graphical, it should be broken in the same way :)