Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
The first item is 31bit and the second item is 1 bit. Does FPC support
a record structure that can define bit level sizes?
I've done this kind of thing quite a bit in the past. Usually, I define a "raw" version and a "clean" version, and write two routines to convert back and forth. I read into the raw version, convert to the clean one, use that in my application, then if I have to write it back, convert the clean back to raw and write it out. I've been Windows only, but taking into account Jonas' advice, you could make converter versions for each ABI and ifdef them appropriately, and that would be located in one place only, not strewn about your code everywhere you needed to access that data. Its a little bit more work, but it only has to be done once each way, and when I'm actually using the data, it saves a ton of mucking about in the middle. Lately, I've taken to wrapping such data into objects, and using the getters and setters to handle getting things from and putting things into the right bits, and only having the raw storage.

Of course, if you only need it once, it really doesn't matter where or how you convert it.

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 3 years, 2 months and 6 days, saving $5,236.88 and not smoking 34,912.58 cigarettes.