On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 22 Nov 2009, at 19:02, Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 21 Nov 2009, at 14:20, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

I have been thinking along similar lines, and made an implementation for beep that works with a handler. It's not yet committed, as I was trying to make an
LCL plugin which would work on Linux/X11.

Wouldn't it be better to do nothing by default under *nix? There are so many situations where writing #7 won't work or can even break things (redirection, daemons), that making beep perform this action by default seems like a bad idea to me. Especially since if it does nothing, then programs expecting to beep won't fail (while programs not expecting random #7 characters in their output can suddenly start failing with the new behaviour). Unless users are familiar with the inner workings of Unix terminals, they won't expect that beeping can corrupt their program's output.

Or maybe at least a check could be added whether stdout is a tty. It will probably still break when crt is used, but at least redirected output won't be corrupted anymore.

Correct. I'll add a check.