On 27 April 2010 20:14, Anthony Walter <sys...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) type generic TList<T> = class // ... as is now, the word generic is
> redundant
>
> 2) type TList<T> = class // ... better and in line with Delphi

To be honest, this is a slightly unfair case, saying Free Pascal must
become Delphi compatible, when Free Pascal had generics support
*before* Delphi did. Maybe Delphi should become more Free Pascal
compatible.

> It seems both were on the suggested list. How did version case 1 win out? To
> me it would seem that pascal has always been about:

I can list quite a few examples where Delphi breaks the "normal pascal
like" syntax too. Yet nobody complains about that.

Our company also wanted to have common code and be able to switch
between Delphi and the Free Pascal compiler. But then we simply came
to the conclusion that Free Pascal is an excellent compiler on its
own, and we really don't need Delphi support any more. We made the
switch 5 years ago (to only work with Free Pascal), and have never
regretted our decision.

I just think the "being delphi compatible" every step of the way, will
hold Free Pascal Compiler back, having to always wait for Embarcadero
to catch-up with what developers want (and we know how slow Delphi can
move - last few years showing this). And that means Free Pascal will
*always* be one step behind. Free Pascal is powerful enough to stand
on its own. It has many unique features Delphi cannot compete with.
Simply switch to Free Pascal as the only compiler and continue to take
advantage of what FPC has to offer.

Just my 2c worth.

  - Graeme -