I use symbolic links.  I created /opt/fpc directory which contains subdirectories for each version I have available.  /opt/fpc/fpc-current is a symbolic link to the directory of the version of fpc I am currently using.  /opt/fpc/bin is a symbolic link to /opt/fpc/fpc-current/bin.  In order to switch versions I just need to modify the /opt/fpc/fpc-current link.

My fpc.cfg file has unit/library/include references similar to this:  -Fu/opt/k-/fpc/fpc-current/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget
So it works with any version I install.

Here are the ugly notes I made when I set it up on my development box:

   - First time retrieve from Subversion
      cd /opt/fpc
      - Stable branch
      - Development branch (v2.1.1)