Am 07.10.2010 10:40, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
Aahhh.. Norms. Right. like all config files should go in ~/.config/, as
proposed 5 years ago, because ~/.program/ is "not the norm" (dumping a
successful 20-year old practise for no apparent good reason).

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the first non-fpc app to write it's config
files in that directory (using Kubuntu, BTW). All other apps I use still
happily write in ~/.program/

While debugging some config troubles in one of my FPC apps I've found some other config files in ".config" (I don't remember which ones and also I'm currently at the wrong computer, so I can't look it up). So there are non-FPC apps which write in there ^^

Same on Microsoft: 'every program must be installed under C:\program
files\'.
Oh yes. Meanwhile more and more programs write NOT under C:\program files\
because it is more and more a pain in the *** with each new release of
Windows.

So: Norms ? Thank you, but I'll pass on that and implement what I
perceive as
simple and correct :-)

If the applications would keep their read only files in 'c:\program files' and write only into those directories that they should (e.g. user's appdata and global appdata (although this one should not be used for sharing writable files...)) we wouldn't have all these problems (virtual file store, UAC, etc.). And this "norm" should have been followed since NT 3.5 (in Win 9x there wasn't such a norm, because there was no real security ^^). And when Microsoft merged the Win 9x and Win NT lines resulting in Windows XP they corrupted this norm to keep backwards compatibility with 9x applications. Oh how beautiful... -.-

Regards,
Sven