It's not just that. Lets say you have a UI for IPTables. In Redhat based, it
will be located under /etc/sysconfig/iptables . On debian based, it should
be under /etc/networking/post-config or something like that (don't have a
debian based machine here), and so on...

Please note that I do not talk about exited scripts such as Arno's scripts
or shorewall, just plain IPTables client, and it's different on each distro.

If you require to read settings of the system (that located at /etc/), no
one guarantee you that all distro's will store then at the same place.

That's the reason why so many software/driver vendors are so reluctant to
release Linux support.
For example Foomatic drivers for CUPS, the drivers of the printers in Mac
OS-X are the same as with Linux, but many vendors ignore Linux just because
this mess.

So it's not just "lets create a package and get over with it", It's not that
simple.

Ido

LINESIP websites:
http://www.linesip.com