Mark Morgan Lloyd <markmll.fpc-pas...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
Marco van de Voort wrote:
In our previous episode, Ben said:
What is the programming language used in and with the Free Pascal Compiler?

* Object Pascal
* Delphi
* Free Pascal
* Pascal
Pretty much all apply.  Free Pascal has a mode concept with 5/6 modes.

I think that we need to distinguish between the name of the language (either Pascal or Object Pascal) and the implementation (Free Pascal). It's entirely reasonable that there be variations in the underlying language depending on implementation.

I'd suggest that an issue to be considered is what facilities are available in the language by default, i.e. with no command line options, embedded directives or "uses" statements.

It is all of them.

Object Pascal is a superset of Pascal. Delphi is a variant of Object Pascal (an implementation of OP plus a RAD). Free Pascal is an implementation and extension of all the others.

I consider myself an FPC programmer rather than a Pascal programmer simply because it is important to stress that I am not clinging to the 70's original Pascal but a modern language. Strangely enough, you have to make that clear, while few C programmers are expected to use the K&R C of the same time even though they don't present themselves as "C99 programmers" or "ANSI C programmers".

/Ingemar