That was the time the professional managers took over.
Fuller was his name if my memory is correct.

They allowed Anders Hejlsberg to be bought by MS (signing bonus), while
'the managers' took hefty bonuses and shares (which Anders did not get,
while he was the brains, and they only the suites).

Regards / Cees