Tomas Hajny wrote:
On Sat, February 19, 2011 15:18, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Henry Vermaak wrote:
On 18 February 2011 18:19, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markmll.fpc-pas...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
I need to trace through a program, running on two different systems
which
might or might not have the same OS, in order to find out where it's
failing.
 .
 .
Valgrind is probably what you need.  It doesn't work on windows, but
people use it with wine.
Thanks Henry and Sven. I suspect that both FPP and Valgrind will end up
being a substantial amount of work for a one-off problem... FPP in
particular since it requires Lazarus to build but I'm trying to debug
part of the Lazarus build process (bug 0018600).

I'm about to start inserting debug messages. I might be some time.

One possible approximation may be to use the platform specific tools for
tracing use of the platform APIs (I believe it's strace under Linux?)
because it may provide some information even before adding the debug
messages.

Thanks Tomas, had occurred to me but I don't know what's available for Windows (and whether it would run on the old version I'm looking at).

If I anticipated doing this regularly I think I'd look at modifying FPP to insert "entering" and "exiting" trace code. At a pinch something like kdiff3 would probably be able to make sense of a moderate-length output trace, but somewhere I've got a better text-comparison algorithm which would be more suitable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk