On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:14, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:

> In our previous episode, michael.vancann...@wisa.be said:
> > >
> > > Looks totally windows specific to me. Probably that is the reason why
> > > clocale doesn't since you'd need large "iso-code" to Lcid tables that
> > > unnecessarily increase binary size.
> >
> > Not necessarily. You could just emulate the windows constants.
>
> Yes, you could. But as said you need tables to emulate them.  And I doubt
> it
> is worth it?
>
> > As long as you don't rely on the actual numerical values, this is not a
> > problem.
>
> What is the use of this record then?
>
>  TSysLocale = record
>    { Delphi compat fields}
>    DefaultLCID,
>    PriLangID,
>    SubLangID  : Integer;
>
>    case byte of
>      { win32 names }
>      1 : (FarEast: boolean; MiddleEast: Boolean);
>      { real meaning }
>      2 : (MBCS : boolean; RightToLeft: Boolean);
>  end;
>
> That leaves the MBCS and RightToLeft, of which MBCS has no meaning on *nix
> (since if that changes, a lot more has to change?)

I do not know what is DefaultLCID at all.

The PriLangID and SubLangID are very problematic, because on Windows you can
use them with Windows language code, however of other OSes they have
different codes, so unless we create our own language code that is
compatible to Windows it's not relevant as well. And that's will actually
make what you are saying -> bloated code.

So we can safely say it is only a Delphi computability variable ?
For BiDi it's easy to know (due to the language), I've just wrote something
for Lazarus for it, and it's very simple after 3 days of investigation of
what other languages beside Arabic and Hebrew are Bi-Directional.

FarEast and MiddleEast are country base, so there should be also some sort
of table for it.

I think that beside Windows we do not really should use this variable at
all. What do you think ?

Ido
LINESIP - Opening the source for communication
http://www.linesip.com
http://www.linesip.co.il