Now that I have a working fpc crosscompiler for Android, and all the code runs ok, I encountered another problem. Namely working with ansistrings causes crashes. For example, in a simple test, calling the str() routine will cause a crash due to a run-time 216 error (general protection fault). I've also noticed that crashes can occur upon routine exit, when ansistrings are freed automatically. I thought that using the C memory manager (cmem) might help, but there is no difference.

For some reason, units are not initialized under a android shared library, so I call internal_initializeunits() myself in the JNI_OnLoad which is called automatically by the JNI, and is called before any other routine.