On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Bart wrote:

When you use TIniFile with CacheUpdates := true, then when you free
the TIniFile an error can occur if the component was unable to update
the changes (in UpdateFile), this will then raise an exception, which
in turn will lead to not calling inherited Destroy, thus leading to
memory loss, which cannot be prevented anymore in this case.

 [snip]

Should I report this behaviour as a bug, or is it considered "by design"?
(My old Delphi does not support the CacheUpdates property, so I cannot
test how it behaves in Delphi)

Please report it as a bug. Your fix proposal is good.