On 5/15/11 8:28 PM, John Lee wrote:
I'd like to put the assign and reset of a text file into a function, and then use the function to return a line from the file, without needing to close the file then re assign and reset every time (for performance reasons) - see below for my attempt.

This sounds like an attempted solution to a problem and you are having trouble with your solution. Since several people have expressed reservations about your attempted solution, perhaps if you shared the *actual problem* you are trying to solve we could suggest a better approach to a solution?