----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Morgan Lloyd" <markmll.fpc-pas...@telemetry.co.uk>
To: <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] How to detect serial/usb-serial ports.

P.vanderWal wrote:
Debian and Ubuntu

grtjs Piet

----- Original Message ----- From: "Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho" <felipemonteiro.carva...@gmail.com>
To: "FPC-Pascal users discussions" <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:39 AM

For which operating system?

I'd expect (recent versions of) those to only create devices that were known to exist. I detect what's available by looking for up to 12 /dev/ttyS*, 8 /dev/ttyUSB* and 4 /dev/ttyI*, then later checking that they can actually be opened (bearing in mind that this might glitch a control line).

It's worth noting that a few weeks ago I was updating the standard serial.pp unit and noticed that Solaris designated serial ports as /dev/ttya and /dev/ttyb.

Windows of course is \COM1, or strictly \\.\COM1 etc.; I note Fabio's test but in the past have used the registry to find e.g. named ports simulated by an AVR box.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

I'll use Mark's method of com-port detection in my program under linux and
GetComPorts under Windows. In a few days time I'll let you know the result.
Mark thank for the suggestions.

grtjs Piet