Bernd wrote:
Hi,

I am just trying to wrap (parts of) the OpenSSL¹ bignum library (large
integer arithmetic) into something that makes using it look at least a
little bit more elegant than using the naked procedural C API  while
at the same time trying to not overdo it and not create a heavy code
monster instead of a lightweight wrapper.

The problem is: Each bignum needs to be allocated by OpenSSL and freed
when no longer needed. If I make a Pascal Object or Class representing
a bignum and overload the arithmetic operators and then have
expressions like (a+b)*(c+d) I would need to find a way to create and
destroy anonymous instances of bignums on the fly. I have tried making
use of Interface and TInterfacedObject and this seems to do what I
want: for example when witing A := A + B the + operator would return a
new instance and the reference counting would then automatically call
the destructor of A when it assigns the newly created number.

The question is: Isn't using interfaces only to get reference counting
complete overkill in this situation, isn't there a more lightweight
way of doing this (or something similar)? And also maybe does some
clever and elegant pattern exist that would enable me to simply reuse
the instance of A (if an initialized object exists already on the left
side of the assignment) instead of destroying it and creating a new
one? (OpenSSL would theoretically allow me to reuse the same allocated
number handle for the result of an operation, I could do BN_add(a,a,a)
without allocating more than one number handle)?

I wonder if I could ask a silly question here, without displaying too much ignorance.

I generally understand the significance of an interface in the Windows context, where COM (or whatever today's name for it) is integrated fairly deeply into the OS.

But what of other OSes like Linux? Does the use of interfaces as a way of getting refcounted storage assume the presence of CORBA etc., and how much overhead is there at program startup- does it demand that an ORB be loaded into memory?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk