On 3-8-2011 12:38, Tony Whyman wrote:
> I understand now what you are doing and would agree that for a simple
> demo, you really do want to create the DB in code. I am thinking more
> about distributing and supporting a fully supported application.
>
> Interesting that I seemed to get so much push-back when I suggested isql
> - I did so as a simple way to distribute a patch (and with an underlying
> assumption that you would install a copy in your application directory
> in order to avoid searching for it). In practice, I don't use isql to
> patch a deployed database but have my own set of units to execute an SQL
> Script using the TIBSQL component. I didn't suggest this because this is
> more than just executing a script, but also includes version control
> tables in the database itself and a configuration file distributed with
> the scripts to tell the updating application which scripts have to be
> applied to get to a specific patch level and so on. Or to put it another
> way, I didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion on how to maintain a
> database in the field. Perhaps I should have just avoided the topic :(

Agreed regarding putting isql in the app directory if you're using it;
that way you get to control what you're executing...

I understand what you're doing too - even about version tables and such.
Just never had to do it in Firebird & FPC yet ;)
As for lengthy discussions, it seems this list seems to have a few - but
I'm not in an argumentative mood ;)

Regards,
Reinier