On 4-8-2011 13:39, Graeme wrote:
> On 4 August 2011 12:58, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>
>> 1. The program checks for the current git revision "number" (a hex
>> string in fact) of the local copy.
> I believe you are referring to the SHA1 value.
I think you believe correctly ;)

>> How do I find out, using FreePascal and a git executable:
>> 1. (Preferably - so I can match behaviour between the git and svn parts
>> of the program) the remote git revision
>> 2. If the local copy needs updating, i.e. the remote copy is newer.
>
> Why check for it first, why not just do a 'git pull origin' and be done with
> it.
I'd like to, but the program as used for svn currently shows current
local revision and only updates if there are differences with a remote
revision.
If possible, I'd like to keep behaviour the same for git...
But I agree, it might be simpler just to do a pull..

> But, if you really want to inspect the HEAD revision's SHA1 value of a
> remote repository, you can use the following command:
>
>   $ git ls-remote origin HEAD
Exactly what I needed, thanks. I knew it must be possible, but just
couldn't find it.

Dankie,
Reinier