On 09/09/2011 04:02 AM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
The quotes are bash commands, they are not part of command line. I
wrote on this topic not long ago, but for TProcess:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Executing_External_Programs#Parameters_which_contain_spaces_.28Replacing_Shell_Quotes.29

OK, I've read your notes for TProcess, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

I have to say that when you have two overloaded declarations for ExecuteProcess, one with an array of parameters and one with a single parameter string, it's not clear to me why you then break the single string into individual parameters, but I'm sure there's some good reason for it. Maybe that single parameter string form of the command should be deprecated. I certainly think that the documentation is directly misleading :-

<paste>

In case ComLine is a single string, it will be split out in an array of strings, taking into account common whitespace and quote rules.

</paste>

At least IMHO, having to quote the entire parameter string, not just the value, is anything but "common whitespace and quote rules".

However, thanks again for the assistance, folks. You can be sure this one has been carefully noted - the idea of needing to wrap parameter AND value in quotes wouldn't have occurred to me in a month of Sundays.

Brian.