On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

On 8 November 2011 12:13,  <michael.vancanneyt@...> wrote:

I have tons of code that uses them. Lazarus has tons of code that uses them.
There is no way that we're going to rewrite all that stuff.

Sorry for any confusion. I did not post this with the intention of
removing TCollection/TCollectionItem classes from FPC. I'm simply
asking from a functionality point of view. Can Generics replace the
usage of TCollection/TCollectionItem in all cases? Purely from a
functionality point of view, it seems like it should be possible - but
I know nothing of Generics (never used them).

You should see it differently: there is a generics collection which performs the same function as TCollection/TCollectionitem.

The difference is mainly that in the case of TCollection(Item) you need to
override the items property; With generics, you can skip this step.
At the expense of copying the whole TCollection code each time you create a
specialized descendent.