On 28/11/11 22:11, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
Hi,

Am 28.11.2011 15:18, schrieb Henry Vermaak:
On 28/11/11 13:41, Juha Manninen wrote:
Hi

Is FPC 2.2.2 really the latest native release for ARM processors?
I guess it can build the more recent versions. (?)

There is an arm release for 2.6.0rc1, but it was built using old
binutils (last time I checked, at least):

ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/arm-linux/

What OS/version are you using? Maybe some OS setup issue? On an HP
Touchpad and a Sheevaplug-like system, which are both eabi5, the
bootstrap compiler and fpc produced executables work just fine.

Ubuntu, which is quite a popular distro for arm systems, for some weird reason. What setup issue do you think can cause an internal error in the bootstrap compiler?

I had no idea, so I cross compiled my own bootstrap compiler (with -gl) to try and debug the error, but the one I built with an up to date binutils simply worked.

I do not mind trying to switch to eabi5 by default, but there might be
systems which absolutely require eabi4 which seems to be some lowest
common denominator, i.e. also eabi5 setups seem to be able to run them
anyway.

I don't mind either way, since I tend to build my own compilers. I just wanted to point out that eabi version 4 is out of date. It was used in pre-releases of the abi. I honestly don't know what the differences are between the versions and whether they even affect the workings of fpc. I thought that the linker probably wont let you link against objects that have a different eabi version (at least it refused to link version 0 and 4, which is understandable).

Henry