Hi,

I have never ever tried to hack on the compiler itself before so this
is probably a stupid question (and probably not the last one) but I
assume there is a simple answer:

My Platform is Linux/i386. I have looked around a bit and found inside
the compiler directory are a few .lpi files lying around, I have
opened pp.lpi with lazarus and it will build an executable pp and
output it into the i386 folder and this seems to be a working compiler
that can compile a simple hello world program on i386 which will run
on i386. But it did not seem to use any of the source files inside the
i386 folder! I intentionally placed some some writeln() and even
introduced some syntax errors and it would still compile and the
resulting pp binary would be an i386 compiler. How is this possible?

when I build the compiler with make from within the compiler directory
then it will use all these units and produce a ppc386. What is the
difference?

confused,
Bernd