On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, ik wrote:

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 13:25, zeljko <zel...@holobit.net> wrote:
On Sunday 26 of February 2012 11:43:38 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

I don't see him doing this in huge corporate administrative business

programs where hundreds of database tables are involved.

and that tables can contain billion of rows ... so visualisation won't be so
snappy :)

It depends on your tests. That visualization is for test driven
development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development).

In Ruby I use Cucumber for such things, and then you can provide also
a table with possible values to see how it will react.

That is childs play; good for some simple website stuff.

We're talking corporate RDBMS here.

Take a school. To be able to test for example data entry of a pupil who comes to inscribe, I need to create and set up the whole eco-system for my pupil:
- Table with schools
- Table with countries
- Table with cities
- Table with addresses
- Table with nationalities
- Tables with values for all kinds of parameters.
- Table with groups in my school.
- Table with teaching subjects.
- Table with teachers teaching the subject.
All these tables have constraints, time dependencies, whatnot.

I cannot even start testing anything pupil-related without having properly set
up all this first :/

To be able to visualize or test all that, you need detailed knowledge of the
system;
a simple "test table with possible values" is unusable; all tables are linked together somehow. For the same reason I never understood the use of 'test data generators' functionalities in database modeling tools. The generated data is utterly useless...