On 14-8-2012 11:34, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Reinier Olislagers said:
>>> in packages\fcl-res\xml) but not in the bin directory.
>>>
>>> IIRC, fpdoc picks up fpdoc.css when generating HTML/CHM output.
>>> Shouldn't fpdoc.css be also present under the bin directory then?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Reinier
>>>
>> Bump.
>>
>> Any reactions?
>
> The scripts that generate have their own locations set to the fpdoc.css
>
> Since generating docs requires additional repositories (like fpcdoc), it is
> not a standard feature of installs anyway.
True for fpc source docs...

So you're saying FPC users who don't have the source installed (e.g. on
Debian) should get the source, download fpdoc.css separately or create
their own if they want to generate HTML documentation of their own code.
Doesn't seem user friendly.

It just doesn't make sense to me to distribute part of a tool. Granted,
that part is optional, can be customized etc. but still, if it's there,
people are more likely to use it than if it's not there.

I'm trying to be constructive here, but I get a lot of answers in the
sense that "this is how it is, don't worry, it's the best solution" or
"this is what you're doing wrong, you should be doing it my way".

Given Michael's suggestion, and in an effort to have some benefit out of
this discussion:
1. Would anybody mind if FPC's fpdoc.css is distributed in fpc installs
(not only in source?)
2. If the bin directory is unsuitable, where should it be placed?

I'd be happy to use my awful make/fpmake-fu to try and figure out a patch.
If not, well, at least this file has gotten a thorough discussion.

Thanks,
Reinier

PS: For some reason, my Lazarus install (from the Windows installer) has
an fpdoc.css that states

/*
  $Id: fpdoc.css 32727 2011-10-07 07:47:29Z vincents $

  Default style sheet for FPDoc reference documentation
  by Sebastian Guenther, s...@freepascal.org

  Feel free to use this file as a template for your own style sheets.
*/

The only diff with the fpc one is the
$Id: fpdoc.css 32727 2011-10-07 07:47:29Z vincents $
line

If fpc distributed fpdoc.css, presumably distributing this with Lazarus
won't be necessary either...