On 15.09.2012 11:34, Vinzent Höfler wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:20:53 +0200, Sven Barth
<pascaldra...@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 14.09.2012 17:44, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
On 14/09/12 13:48, Krzysztof wrote:
I just quicky googled not allowed characters and wrote this simple
function:

Also in Windows (as far as I know), file names my not be longer than 255
characters. So you will have to check the length of AFilename parameter
too.

It depends. If you use normal "C:\bla\bla" notation you are right, but
if you access the NT namespace (which you can do from within the
WinAPI) you can use paths with up to 32767 characters. You need to use
this notation though: "\\?\C:\bla\bla" (in this case you MUST use "\"
though as "/" is not converted here).

Careful. There's a difference between file/component length and path
length.

For more information see here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#maxpath

|This type of path is composed of components separated by backslashes,
|each up to the value returned in the lpMaximumComponentLength parameter
|of the GetVolumeInformation function (this value is commonly 255
characters).

So, although the path may be up to 32767 characters in length, each
component
of the path can no longer than 255 characters. This includes the file name.

Right... but 255 characters for a filename is already rather much as well when I compare this with the amount of text I can squash into a SMS ;)

Regards,
Sven