Marco van de Voort wrote:
In our previous episode, michael.vancann...@wisa.be said:
Somebody's suggesting we ought to be at least looking at BSD. What's the preferred variant from FPC/Lazarus's POV: OpenBSD, FreeBSD etc.?
I think Marco mainly uses FreeBSD.

Pierre does OpenBSD and NetBSD, and the level should be decent, but still
they are only on the first beta level.

OTOH, I don't get that much FreeBSD specific feedback either. Sometimes
nothing a whole release cycle.  At least as far as dynamic linking goes
(making shared libraries in FPC), FreeBSD is less far than Linux.

Another reason to choose FreeBSD over net/oipen is that recent versions are
much faster in
 Virtual Box.

OK, I'll try to get a copy going here and to run FPC up on it on occasion. I find Qemu isn't too bad with an x86 guest, I just wish that more OSes had been ported to UML (User Mode Linux) which provides an API rather than attempting to emulate a PC's hardware.

I might while I'm at it try a ReactOS guest and possibly Sanos: looks like the author of the latter has been tidying things up a bit so it's worth watching even if an FPC port is improbable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk