On Sat, 22 Dec 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012, dev.dliw-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org
wrote:

Hi,
concerning the string topic, for me (using fpc since 2.0.4 on a
regular basis;
TP experience ~ average user) there really should be an decision what
way to
go as early as possible.

- We'll implement the capacity to have a code-page aware string type, as
Delphi has.
  (well, it is there already).

- The {$H } directive will be extended so you can choose which string
type you need per unit.
  (ansi/wide/utf16/utf8...)
  This is different from Delphi, where you don't have this choice:
String=Widestring.
So how would the patch in e.g.
fit in?

It will need to be adapted if you want to avoid conversions.

It already does lots of conversions anyway as soon as a unicode ODBC is
detected.
basically, it just switches to the unicode version and does all conversions in the background...