Henry Vermaak wrote:
On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 10:46:54AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I've got a vague recollection that since that episode the kernel
maintainers have mandated a use of parentheses that helps the
compiler pick up the distinction between an equality and an

Assignment inside if statements are usually frowned upon in the kernel.
gcc warns if you don't use parentheses, but I usually use parentheses
for readability, so there's always a danger of making a typo and not
getting a warning.  Can't remember the last time I've had a bug of this
sort, but that's probably because I'm extra vigilant with conditionals.
I think the decision to keep this syntax out of pascal is a good one.

I use C barely at all. In the words of one of the M2 vendors "We come to bury C, sir, not to praise it".

If Pascal /had/ to have some sort of multiple assignment, I'd have thought borrowing an idea from Perl and doing something like

would have been minimally acceptable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk