On 4-3-2013 10:19, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Joao Morais said:
>> How ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.6.2/bootstrap
>> like lists are built? I missed at least i386-linux and i386-win32
>> binaries.
>
> They are simply the compiler binary extracted from the release in a bzipped
> format.
>
> It's mainly a facility for source based package systems like the *bsd ports,
> where the enduser routinely bootstraps compiler + source too.
> (if that is sane, is a different question, specially in FPC's case which won't
> reuse global CFLAGS, but tradition...)
>
> That's why you see all BSD binaries uploaded, and other majority platforms
> are missing.
>
> Win32/64 in particular is useless, since there you need the binutils in the
> release package anyway.

Well, Ludo Brands and I *did* build a tool that gets the binutils[1] if
they're not there and proceeds to build fpc+Lazarus afer svn checkout
for Linux and Windows (and perhaps it still works on OSX, haven't tested
for a long while).

I would be *very* happy with the win32 and 64 builds.

[1] and an svn executable on Windows etc...