On 2/7/2014 4:06 AM, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
2014-02-07 waldo kitty <wkitt...@windstream.net
<mailto:wkitt...@windstream.net>>:
[...]
    so now i'm a bit confused but it has been a long day... again... :/

This makes sense... at least in your previous version: I guess catnbr is a
string.

yes...

Compare uses whatever KeyOf returns, and since KeyOf returns the address
of a string, Compare handles the keys as such. To compare more than 1 field, the
simplest way would be for KeyOf to return the address of the TLERec, which is
the behavior of TSortedCollection.KeyOf
http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/docs/rtl/objects/tsortedcollection.keyof.html
.

i've read that numerous times but...

So IMO you should simply remove your implementation of KeyOf and edit Compare
so that it receives PTLERec and uses the relevant fields instead of a simple
string.

seriously? [/rhetorical] son of squidly! i don't know why but i've always overridden keyof as well as compare and at least one other that i can't think of at the moment... now that i've completed converting my "decision tree" to using two bits per option instead of the three-state format i was using (the exe was reduced by a few 10's of k's) i will see about working on this aspect...

while my app is in production and operating 24x7 on my systems, i still consider it to be no more than beta stage... personally, alpha but then again, i have pretty high testing standards for my code... while it might work, there's no way that i would allow it out in a commercial operation without a lot more testing and evaluation...

anecdote: some years back i wrote a messaging app to the specs for the use it was to be placed in... those specs stated that a message identifier would not be used within a three year period... testing of that code took just over three years to ensure that it was to spec... running mathematical algorithms showed that the code was up to spec but i preferred to use actual testing to make sure... i'm my own worst critic ;)