On 02/28/2014 03:00 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
As long as not stated differently AnsiString and UnicodeString are meant as implemented in FPC trunk.
Can you point me to a _final_ documentation on this ?

Here, The Delphi model does not provide a String encoding type (and appropriate "compiler magic") that can be used for that purpose (i.e. "fully dynamically encoded").
Basically it does.
Yep.

In theory
:-)

Of course I know how this works (otherwise this discussion would not make any sense at all) that the implementation of the string record allows for this, but Embarcadero does not allow the users to decently take advantage of it.
 - "non-Raw" does not allow for modifying the type and code-length fields
 - "Raw" does not provide auto-conversion (seemingly for good reasons)

-Michael