On 03/23/2014 08:06 PM, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
I would like to add that bitfields in C are not at all portable;
it is completely implementation dependant if they are
allocated from right to left in the structure or the other way round etc.;

I _found_ that in bitfield records, with high endian archs gcc starts with filling the high bits, while with low endian archs it starts with filling the lower bits in the basic type that is given. IMHO this in fact does make sense.

I did not find a documentation about this and have no idea whether it is likely that other compilers work similar.

-Michael