On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:19:29 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:

>[...]
> I tested, and indeed:
>
> # include_directories
>          .ascii  "../../tmp/link\000"
>
> I think this is an error in FPC, because the linker file contains full paths:
>
> INPUT(
> /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.7.1/units/x86_64-linux/rtl/prt0.o
> /tmp/link/p.o
> /usr/local/lib/fpc/2.7.1/units/x86_64-linux/rtl/system.o
>
> The two should at least match; and you will not be surprised to hear that
> I think the linker file is correct :)

Well, the /tmp/link is a logical, not a physical path. So I'm not yet
sure, why you think that physical cwd is the "only correct" way, but
it's ok for all other to be logical. Isn't that inconsistent?

>[...]
> There is only 1 level: the system level.
>
> The rest are mirages.

lol :)

>[...]
> Did I say I was against symlinks ? No. I use them a lot, and all the time.
>
> They're just typing shortcuts, for convenience.

You can do more with symlinks than that. Famous examples:
/tmp -> /var/tmp or the links in /lib.

> So, if I open (because it is faster)
>
> /home/michael/lazarus/lazarus.lpi
>
> and then the IDE caption tells me I have actually opened
>
> /home/michael/projects/lazarus/lazarus.lpi
>
> I will only be happy.

And bash users will report it as a bug.

>[...bash bashing, irrelevant to this thread...]

Mattias