On 26/09/2014 17:41, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> I'm in the middle of kernel test builds at the moment, so forgive me if
> I'm not giving your posted example as much attention as it deserves.
I understand, thanks. Have quit coding for the day myself, will get back
on this tomorrow...

> was assuming that you'd written both the main program and the DLL, which
> would have been analogous to the program I checked (which also used the
> LCL etc.).
Let me explain:
postcode.lpr: Lazarus GUI program with LCL etc that uses business layer
(+db layer etc)
dlldemo.lpr: console application that demonstrates use of
dutchpostcode.lpr: dll source using business layer (which calls db units
etc - business layer is the same unit as used in GUI program)

> If using pchars: is the program doing all storage allocation for these
> or is the DLL also allocating memory?
The DLL is generating those pchars.

> I thought Holland /was/ flat :-)  I was again thinking of the case where
> both the main program and the DLL were your code. Using shortstrings
> removes some of the dynamic allocation, hence potentially the need for a
> single memory manager (cmem).

;)
Ok. As said, haven't included cmem... will come back on this tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far!