I'm using i386 32bit Linux for most of my development and currently
using FPC 2.6.0. I'm trying to understand how to build FPC for various
scenarios: Cross-compiling FPC for another architecture. Building FPC
crosscompilers and related units so I can compile for them from my Linux
machine. And building new FPC versions.

There seems to be a massive lack of documentation about the FPC build
process and many things I try get me know where. I'll do something like
"make deb" and I get "/bin/cp: cannot stat `logs': No such file or
directory ..." Or I do "make build OS_TARGET=win32 SMARTLINK=YES
DEFAULTUNITS=YES NOGDB=1" and it builds a i386-linux RTL with i386-win32
packages!?!?

I've tried building on I386 Linux, PPC Linux, PPC OSX, just to name the
ones that I remember. I've tried simple builds of newer FPCs, cross
compiling FPC, building crosscompilers and units. Building Debian packages.

Not once have I ever been able to get it to do what I want. There is
obviously a lot of pieces I'm missing from what I've dug up on the wiki,
docs and included text files.

Is there documentation for compiling FPC? Am I just missing it
somewhere? FPC seems incredibly flexible and I'd like to take advantage
of it on some other platforms but so far it looks like that is reserved
for a wizard elite somewhere and nobody is saying how to get there.

TIA - Jon

--
Sent from my Debian Linux workstation -- http://www.debian.org/intro/about

Jon Foster